About Me

My photo
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
I am a lawyer in Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada who enjoys reading, especially mysteries. Since 2000 I have been writing personal book reviews. This blog includes my reviews, information on and interviews with authors and descriptions of mystery bookstores I have visited. I strive to review all Saskatchewan mysteries. Other Canadian mysteries are listed under the Rest of Canada. As a lawyer I am always interested in legal mysteries. I have a separate page for legal mysteries. Occasionally my reviews of legal mysteries comment on the legal reality of the mystery. You can follow the progression of my favourite authors with up to 15 reviews. Each year I select my favourites in "Bill's Best of ----". As well as current reviews I am posting reviews from 2000 to 2011. Below my most recent couple of posts are the posts of Saskatchewan mysteries I have reviewed alphabetically by author. If you only want a sentence or two description of the book and my recommendation when deciding whether to read the book look at the bold portion of the review. If you would like to email me the link to my email is on the profile page.

Saturday, June 3, 2017

Birds of a Feather by Jacqueline Winspear

As I am kind of plodding in my reading of the Arthur Ellis shortlist for the 2017 Award for Best Novel so I have looked back over some reviews from almost a decade ago that I have not posted. Re-reading my review of Birds of a Feather by Jacqueline Winspear, the second in the Maisie Dobbs series, reminded me how much I love that series.
  ****
26. – 436.) Birds of a Feather by Jacqueline Winspear – Maisie Dobbs, Psychologist and Investigator, is doing well as the Depression lays hold to England. She is retained by Joseph Waite to find his daughter, Charlotte, who, in her early 30’s, has run away again. Waite, a wealthy owner of a chain of grocery stores, both attracts her with his devotion to his store and employees and repels him with a feudal attitude towards women. Maisie’s assistant, Billy Beale, continues to suffer from the gassing and leg wounds suffered in WW I. While concerned over his physical well being she is disconcerted by shifting moods. Billy is the rare aide to a female detective. Many male fictional detectives have their devoted assistant. Women have traditionally operated alone. The investigation turns darker when Maisie determines a pair of Charlotte’s closest friends from the time of WW I have been murdered by the same person. A key clue is a small white feather found on each victim. As she seeks out the solution the feathers lead back to WW I. Along the way we see her challenged in her personal relationships and forced to consider the personal reconciliations she urges on clients. A great English T.V. series is bound to come from the novels. Maisie is a wonderful character. I do not like to read books by the same author too quickly as it lessens the enjoyment but I had to read another adventure of Maisie and was not disappointed. Paperback by choice. (June 27/08)
****
I think I am going to have to read another in the series this year.

2 comments:

  1. This is a well-written series, Bill. The plots are intriguing mysteries, but at the same time, Winspear does solid character development as well. I can see why you like these novels as well as you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot: Thanks for the comment. She is one of the best contemporary mystery fiction authors.

      Delete